Your Thoughts

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Your Thoughts

Post by Black&White on Sun Apr 01, 2012 2:51 pm

As seen, the site is pretty different. Post here to give us your thoughts so we can keep track of what you all think and make the site better to make everyone happy~

Black&White

View user profile http://blackandwhite1020.deviantart.com/

Back to top Go down

Re: Your Thoughts

Post by Ravyn on Sun Apr 01, 2012 3:16 pm

I have...... many, many thoughts surrounding the changes. Some are good and some are bad. Please bear with me as i try to outline things as clearly as possible with minimum typoes...... *goesfetches wrist brace and prepares to type a lot....*

When i saw the announcement that the site was gonna get all changed up, I have to admit, I was pretty scared. I tend to not just dislike change, but outright fear it (last time Spired tried changing the layout of the home page I basically had a massive panic attack, started hyperventilating, almost broke down crying, and then had to leave and try to work it off....). I generally need my consistency, and the way I see it, there really wasnt any need for a change. The way I understand it, the site went through all the renovation because we wanted to seperate ourselves from Inkpop and become more independent. Which is fine, I guess...... considering i never actually used Inkpop, it didnt matter to me in the slightest whether we looked like them or not, although I suppose to some people it did matter and I could kind of understand why they'd want a change. But then I remembered that Inkpop shut down...... and then any understanding that was there kind of disappeared. The way I see it, overhauling the site to seperate us from something that doesnt actually exist anymore...... doesnt really make a lot of sense. Especially when most people were perfectly content with the previous colour scheme.

While the reason for the change is questionable, I actually don't find the changes themselves completely unbearable....

On the plus side, im VERY happy that the general layout of the site stayed pretty much the same. Almost everything is in the same place and is the same size, nothing's really freaky and totally new..... the colours, overall, arent bad. I like the kind of blue/grey/white scheme. Its a colourscheme I like using when I draw and its not a bad thing for me. I didnt have a panic attack and die as soon as I got on the site this morning, which was nice.....

On the minus side, im not big on some of the text colours.... I find the orange that is now the main text colour to be really really dark at first and then really really washed out as soon as you click on it. Likewise, i find the moderator and admin colours to be very dark and its a little hard to differentiate. It is also messing with my head that admins are now green and mods are now blue, because im so used to seeing mods as green (although i'll probably adjust to this quickly enough). The only other thing im not big on is that i find the moving 'new post' buttons REALLY distracting.... moving things on my screen annoy me.

Overall, unless the site were to go ENTIRELY back to the way that it was, I wouldnt want to see any more major changes to the site. Small things such as adjusting text shade slightly or fixing glitches for functionality, sure, but I wouldnt want another big overhaul. While I dont really like that the site was changed, it WAS changed and unless it were to just revert completely back, i'd rather not see it change entirely again. Im fine with the colours/patterns, for the most part, and the layout stayed consistent which was nice. I'd rather not have something changed that WOULD make me freak out, especially since this site is often one of the few things keeping me sane.

Thank you for starting this thread and I really appreciate you taking the time to read this. I've had far too many incidences on other sites where radical unprecedented things will occur and despite masses of users screaming against it, the higher-ups who initiated the radical change don't want to hear any opinions from anyone or bother taking them into account.... needless to say, i am no longer a part of those sites. So glad that doesnt seem to happen here!
Ravyn

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Echo on Sun Apr 01, 2012 3:29 pm

Gotta agree with Rav on the spinny new post things. Also, they don't have transparent backgrounds, and this bugs me. Pet peeve.

I guess the colors are alright, though I think the link colors are kinda drab *shrugs* In my opinion, links (especially name links of staff) should pop out from the text.

That background is still boggling my eyes... If you're going to keep it, all I have to say is that perhaps you could change the contrast and/or make it lighter? It keeps distracting me and pulling my eyes away from the text.

So...yeah.
Echo
Winter Dragon

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Sun Apr 01, 2012 3:30 pm

First of all, personally, I really love it ._. Not sure why. But. I think it's great, it looks much more like a writing site, and much more professional.

The swirls are mildly distracting, though they're cool... and I miss having my name match my chatbox color xD other than that, though. Oh... and the 'new post' things irk me a bit. Especially since their background is white, like they were cut and pasted, and the swirls.

Back to top Go down

Post by Jacky K. on Sun Apr 01, 2012 3:55 pm

My two cents! ^.^

Well, I love some of the changes, and I can live with some of the changes. First of all, I was pleasantly surprised with the color scheme. I was afraid it was going to be something too dark or bright, but the gray/white/blue is very clean and nice looking ^.^

I also like the background design, for the most part. It gets a bit busy in places. For example, the picture of the writing and pen and ink and such on top of the background underneath the site title is a little much for my eyes, and as WD already pointed out, it's hard to stay focused on the text with the background on all sides. This is only really a problem on the actual forums, where people would be reading great gobs of text. Is there a way to saturate it more just within the forum pages? Something to highlight the text, not the pretty swirly designs xD

Also, the chatbox is a little bit of an eyesore for me, just because it's harder to see the text with the gray background. The designs on the top and bottom of the box make it harder to see the font options. If it were me, I'd stick to simple in the chatbox x)

That's my two cents! Thanks!

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Sun Apr 01, 2012 8:33 pm

Alright, so I feel the need to respond to all your site changing concerns, cause I want you all to know they matter.

First off-
There seems to be a misunderstanding on why we are changing the site.
We aren't changing it to break away from inkpop, we're changing it to improve the site.
Evie, the founder of this site, literally use the first template she found for the site. There was no personalization, no special touches. Guys, her post count is zero. My point is, she wasn't really interested in the site.
We are. We're trying to improve and give you an amazing site which you deserve. At the very least, we want some personalization. That's why we are changing.

Now, this current template was just a first run. It's not perminate. I'm going to take it and build off it now that we know what we're aiming towards here. With that said... I have to design a whole new template .-. So bare with me. No complaints until after it's done and try to remember- I'm working really hard on this. Be polite. I have feelings you know.

The buttons will be completely different... hopefully. What you're seeing right now are two different template buttons meshed together. I was too tired to fix it last night but hopefully I can find better buttons for the next layout.

The text colors are all in their testing stage. It's suffice to say you've been heard and we're going to try to find something better.

The background will be changed / altered. Not exactly sure how yet. One thing at a time.

I may change the banner... I dunno. I literally threw it together in five minutes.

The color scheme shall be staying, on the other hand. I may alter the shades of silver / blue/ white, and momo suggested a purple, so I may do a pale lavender, but rest assured the colors will stay along with the site set up itself.

Thanks for your feedback. Keep it coming, we'll try our best to incorporate it.

Back to top Go down

Post by Red on Wed Apr 04, 2012 12:34 pm

Hi!
Ok, I absolutely loce the new colors and everything! Ella, you've done a really great job.
My only two ideas for now is link colors. I like the overall gray, but maybe have just the links a bright color so we can add a pop of color to the site. My other thing is the huge banner at the top of the site. I love the background image, but I'm not crazy about the words. Maybe make the white transparent and make the font a white block-y font so it can be seen better? The white box, for me, ruins the effect of the background image.
Red

View user profile http://idkcolor.tumblr.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Wed Apr 04, 2012 12:43 pm

I have actually been thinking out different link colors since others have made comments on wanting them altered as well. Just for what they will be.... no clue. I'm just going to leave the site as is for a little while, let people get use to it, then try to figure out which colors would better fit the site.

As for the banner, that's a whole 'nother can of worms. I actually can't do what you suggested because the background picture and the words are two separate things that the template combines. I'm also going to leave this for a little, then go back to it.
But thanks, I'll definitely keep your suggestions in mind.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top